Monday, June 16, 2008

What is an exhibit spectacle?

I have spent the last few months studying an idea that came up over bagels and coffee at Starbucks - the exhibit as spectacle. I feel that, before I begin to post thoughts I have had since inception of my research, I should probably start by explaining what an "exhibit spectacle" is (in my opinion).

“spectacle erases the dividing line between self and world, in
that the self, under siege by the presence/absence of the world, is eventually
overwhelmed; it likewise erases the dividing line between true and false,
repressing all directly lived truth beneath the real presence of the falsehood
maintained by the organization of appearances”
- Guy Debord, The Society of the Spectacle


A spectacle, according to the dictionary, is a “public show or display on a large scale” or “anything presented to the sight or view, especially of a striking or impressive kind” (spectacle Feb. 2008). The Online Etymology Dictionary explains that spectacle is derivative of the latin word spectaculum which is "a show, spectacle" (spectacle Jun. 2008).

In order to be spectacular, an experience (in this case, an exhibit) has to “arouse feelings of awe and wonder” and be “highly anticipated and highly impressive.” It should also create an alternate “world” where the visitor experiences excitement, awe, and wonder, in a sense forgetting about the “real world.”

The trick is designing an exhibit to be this memorable without losing the message...


References:

1 comment:

Joe said...

The City Museum breathes and lives spectacle in a wonderful and amazing way. I don't know how many times I have found myself crammed into a space that I have no right being in and being so caught up in the moment that despite the very real fact that I might be stuck, being stuck could be the coolest thing to happen. The only thing cooler, it turns out, is not being stuck, and finding another perilous place to throw yourself into. You forget you're an adult. A museum "professional". Tall. Old. You forget everything and just enjoy.